No. 17 Kentucky (25-8) vs. No. 14 North Carolina (27-8)
We will be live from The Pit for tonight’s 9:45 tipoff starting at about 9:30 p.m. Please check back regularly for updates before, during and after the game. I also will be updating throughout on Twitter @jensmith712.
- UNC’s Lucas has 22 points and leads three Heels in double figures. Dunlap ends her UK career with 23 points.
- A Lucas three in the right corner might be the dagger. Cats are down 76-70, and UNC has the ball again.
- UK trails by five points 73-68 with 2:38 left and the Heels have the ball.
- Cats have cut it to two points three times, but UNC has answered each time and leads 73-67 with 3:22 to play.
- Mathies has been on the bench in obvious discomfort as UK makes its run. UNC leads 69-65 with 5:30 to go.
- Don’t write the obit yet. UK has scored eight straight and trails UNC 63-57 with 7:59 to play. Dunlap has six of those points.
- A mini run got UK to single digits 57-49 with 11:40 to play, but Carolina responded and has a comfortable 61-49 lead with 10:52 left.
- It’s still a 10-point game with Carolina leading 44-34 with 17:02 to play. We’ll see if the Cats have a run in them, but Heels are playing tough.
- HALFTIME: North Carolina 40, Kentucky 30: UK doesn’t have a field goal for the final 3:46 of the first half and Carolina used a 14-5 run to grab a 13-point lead with under a minute to go. UK made four of five free throws in the final 1:20 to keep it within range at 10 points.
- Cats had cut the Heels’ lead to one on a Mathies three-pointer with 3:46 to play, but UNC has scored eight straight again and UK has its largest deficit 34-25.
- Dunlap’s already made more shots (four) than she did during the OT win over Hampton in the first round. She has eight points and UK trails the Heels 24-20 with 6:06 to play.
- With 6:41 to play, UNC has scored eight straight and is up 24-18.
- Cats are still turnover free and are still tied up with UNC 14-14 with 11:53 to go in the first half.
- At the first media break (14:29 in first half), UK and UNC are tied up 10-10, but the bigger Heels are outrebounding Kentucky 9-3 at present.
- Less than 10 minutes from tipoff here and it’s odd to see UK warming up against the Tar Heels. The Cats are considerably smaller, almost looks like a high school team getting ready to play a WNBA team.
- Tonight’s winner will advance to the Spokane (Wash.) Regional and the round of 16.
- Fourth-seeded Kentucky is 0-4 all-time versus the fifth-seeded Tar Heels. The two have never met in NCAA Tournament play.
- Both coaches indicated on Sunday that this game could be a horse race of sorts with both teams going 8-10 deep and liking to get up and down the floor.