CHATTANOOGA, Tenn — No. 14 Kentucky shook off a slow start and used a big second-half surge to drop Chattanooga 79-64 on Saturday night.
UK senior Victoria Dunlap followed up a 30-point performance on Tuesday with a 26-point show on Saturday at the McKenzie Center. She also had nine rebounds in the win. Dunlap was one of four players in double figures, including Benisha Pinkett’s 11 points and 10 points each from A’dia Mathies and Keyla Snowden.
Kentucky improved to 7-1 and Chattanooga fell to (3-5). The Lady Mocs were led by Whitney Hood’s 19 points. Kayla Christopher added 14 points.
Blogging live from McKenzie Arena for a “Pack the House” game that is NOT packed. Pre-game introductions have started and the game will be underway soon.
- UK has 75-60 advantage with 3:12 to play. Four different players have scored in double figures, led by Dunlap’s 24 points.
- Cats up 53-49 with 11:56 remaining in the game. Dunlap is carrying UK with 16 points right now.
- Tonight’s attendance is 3.139, 11th all time for the Chattanooga women. UK up 50-47 with 13 to go.
- Mocs grabbed a brief 42-41 on a Christopher three-pointer from the left side. Cats cling to 43-42 lead with 15:52 to play.
- Kentucky calls a timeout less than a minute into the second half as Mocs score two straight and get within four points 36-32. On UK’s lone possession, it turned the ball over.
- Cats waste final possession of the half when Morrow doesn’t seem to realize the clock is running down and doesn’t get her shot off in time. Cats up 36-28 at the break, shooting 48.4 percent from the field. The Lady Mocs are shooting 41.9 percent from the field and are bein led by Whitney Hood’s 14 points. She has better than half her average at the break.
- Mitchell wants a timeout as Mocs cut the UK lead to 33-24 behind two straight baskets from Hood. She has 12 points for Chattanooga with 1:38 to play in half.
- Cats have 31-20 lead with 3:17 to go in the first half. Mathies is headed to the line to shoot two after this media timeout.
- Mathies is seeing her first action with six minutes to go in the second half. She helps UK’s defense force a five-second call on an inbounds pass.
- With 6:43 to go in the first half, Cats up 27-13 after back-to-back three-pointers from Conwright and Pinkett.
- We will see how well UK does without its leadership. A’dia Mathies is sitting after a violation of team rules and Dunlap just picked up her second foul after a called charge. With 8:47 to go Cats up 21-13.
- There are four freshmen and Keyla Snowden on the floor right now (Barnette, Drake, Pinkett and O’Neill) and the Cats lead 11-9 with 12:30 to play in half.
- Cats are sloppy early against a 2-3 zone. They’ve turned the ball over four times. Jennifer O’Neill is in the game earlier than she’s been all season.
- Game is tied 4-4 at the first media timeout. Leading scorer Whitney Hood (21.4 ppg) has both buckets in the paint for the Mocs, who have won two in a row.
Starting for No. 14 Kentucky is Maegan Conwright, Samantha Drake, Kastine Evans, Victoria Dunlap and Carly Morrow, a senior and native of Lookout Mountain, Ga., which is nearby.